I never thought I would be awake and starting my day before my son, especially not on a weekend when I could really be sleeping in. But alas, here I am at 7:30am beginning to write this blog post, while my son is happily sleeping away.
Evan's sleep schedule for the past several months had been pretty consistent (minus a few times when he was adjusting to a new time zone): asleep around 8pm, wake around 4am for a change and a feed, and then back to sleep until around 7-8am. On work days, this allowed me to get up at 6am, shower and get ready for my day, before Evan would wake for his day. And on weekends, this allowed me a bit of a sleep in (in which I would typically just find time to shower and get ready later, often during his morning nap).
However, earlier this week Evan did something he had never done before: slept ALL the way through the night. He went to bed around 8pm and didn't disturb us again until 6:45am! This was on a weekday, so when my alarm went off at 6am it was awfully shocking to wake up realizing Evan was still asleep, as well as awfully uncomfortable to have gone so many hours without nursing him. I had at least pumped around 11pm, before I went to bed, so it wasn't too bad, but needless to say I was full.
Now, as with many things baby, this seemed to be a one-time occurrence, as the next night he was back to waking around 4am for a change and a feed. That is, until last night. Once again he slept from 8pm all the way until 6am (sadly only 30 minutes before John's alarm was about to go off). I again was shocked and uncomfortable, only very much so this time since I had gone to bed without pumping last night. In fact, I had actually fallen asleep last night in my nursing chair (how I got comfortable in that thing to fall asleep is beyond me) right after I had put Evan to bed!
The other dilemma I faced this morning was what to do after Evan ate: put him back to bed or keep him up? I, of course, would have loved a bit more sleep on my Sunday morning, but I didn't think Evan would need any more sleep. Nonetheless, he answered my question as he laid next to me in bed, gazing up at me through the darkness with his drowsy eyes. Thus, I decided I'd put him in his crib and see what happens, meanwhile getting up myself to pump since I was pretty sure Evan hadn't fully depleted my stock.
As I was downstairs getting things ready to pump, I heard Evan making sounds through the monitor. He wasn't crying or whining, but rather just making his vowel sounds and grunts. On the video monitor I could see he was laying on his side (a new position he likes to fall asleep in), but based on his noises I figured he was just playing and I would need to bring him downstairs with me soon. However, by the time I got every set up to begin pumping, he was silent. A quick check on the monitor showed me that he was out like a light.
And so this is how my morning has begun; I'm up beginning my day with motherly duties, and my son is back to sleep having a lazy Sunday morning. I can't say it doesn't feel good to be so productive at this time of the day, though. So far I've fed Evan, pumped, ordered him a new humidifier for his room, had my breakfast, and washed our tub of bottles and baby food utensils. After this post is published, I hope to get the kitchen cleaned up (as I have a bit of cooking in my plan for today), start some laundry, and maybe even get my shower done, depending just how much time Evan gives me. All in all, it's probably a good thing that I'm up and starting my day already, but then again I wonder what time (and where) I'll fall asleep tonight. Oh wait, I hear Evan now...time to sign off at 7:55am.
No comments:
Post a Comment