Thursday, September 15, 2011

Evan's "newborn" fashion show

Now that Evan is approaching 6 weeks of age tomorrow (hard to believe!) and he most certainly does not fit into any of his size "newborn" clothes, we will be retiring these outfits from his wardrobe.  Thus, I thought I would take a moment and pay tribute to these adorable and oh-so-tiny outfits.  Let the fashion show begin...

Handsome Like Daddy

Evan at the hospital in his going home outfit at 2 days old (August 7)

Updated photo of Evan in this outfit on August 29 (his original due date).  You can see how the jacket is not too long on him anymore, as it was in the hospital photo!

A model in the making...

Just not patient enough for so many clicks of the camera...

A close up shot of the slogan on his shirt.  And yes, he is handsome like his daddy :)

"Handsome like Daddy" was his going home outfit from the hospital and a gift from Papa (aka my dad, Tom) and Margaret.  It also seemed to be a perfect slogan for Evan, as we now have concluded that he looks an awful lot like John, and I would agree that means he's handsome like Daddy. :)  His tiny sneakers were a gift from our Target registry from Duncan and Marietta.  I figured I had to have at least one pair of newborn shoes to keep and remember how small his feet were.  However, Evan was born with very long feet, so even though these shoes say 0-6 weeks old we've always had a hard time getting them on his feet.  However, we still have managed to squeeze them on a few times.

A few more cute newborn outfits

This is one of Evan's funniest faces I've captured on camera, and still makes me laugh. (Aug 13)

Showing off the matching hat. (Aug 13)

Such a tiny little guy still, only 8 days old. (Aug 13)

This adorable blue outfit, with a matching hat, was a gift from Brenda when she came to meet Evan when he was just 5 days old.  She brought us this outfit and the striped sleeper (see next sequence of photos) since she knew we didn't have many newborn sized clothes.  She also brought us more newborn size Pampers diapers, which we of course needed in that first couple weeks home.


Laying next to John's hand gives some perspective on how small Evan was (taken Aug 14)

The first time I got a bright, wide-eyed shot of Evan looking right into the camera (Aug 22)

Laying on daddy's lap (Aug 25)

Australian versus American baby clothes

We've received many gifts of baby clothes from Evan's family in Australia also, however the sizing scheme there threw me for a loop at first.  Here in the U.S., our baby and toddler clothes are literally sized by age of the child.  They typically start at newborn (NB), which often only fit babies for a few days/weeks of their life depending on how big they were at birth (lucky for us, Evan fit into his for most of the first month!).  Then sizes go by 3-month age intervals up to one year old and the sizes are labled as such (0-3 month, 3-6 month, 6-9 month, and 9-12 month).  After 6 to 12 months, the sizes start ranging by 6 month intervals, such as 12-18 and 18-24 months.  Then past 24 months you reach toddler (T) sizes, that are in yearly intervals marked as 2T, 3T, 4T, 5T.  There is also sometimes a preemie (P) size offered for really small and premature babies.

The gifts we were receiving from Australia were mostly size 000.  I had no clue what that meant, but judging by the size of the outfits they were probably our equivalent of newborn or 0-3 months.  We also received one 0000 and then some 00 sizes.  After a quick search on google, I learned that the baby sizing scheme in Australia is as follows:

00000 = preemie
0000 = newborn
000 = 0-3 months
00 = 3-6 months
0 = 6-12 months
1 = 1 year
2 = 2 years (and so forth)

Thus, we wanted to get him in anything that was looking small on him (size 0000, and some of the smaller 000 items), to make sure he got a wear out of them before he outgrew them.   Luckily the one 0000 item we got seems to still fit him fine, so it may actually be more of a 000 size.

One of the clothing gifts that we received from Australia, however, did not have a size attached.  Rather it was a set of hand-knitted blue baby garments hand made by Louise's friend Sandy: a sweater, hat, booties, and mittens.  They are so soft, and the photos don't do their softness justice.  The hat and booties fit him great, but the sweater may get small soon so we had to get him in it for a quick photo shoot (see below).  Sandy also knitted a pair of red and white striped booties and mittens (sorry no photos yet).  John figures they can be Christmas/holiday booties, but I say they can be Nebraska Husker booties!  (Can I get a "Go Big Red!"??)

We dressed Evan in the hat, sweater, and booties after his bath.  With the sweater on, there wasn't room to fit the matching mittens on at the same time.

You can see the bulk of his cloth diaper in this photo.  (He's wearing a 0-3 month size "onesie", which is what we call a one-piece bodysuit that snaps around the diaper here in the U.S.,  under the sweater to accommodate the added cloth diaper bulk)
This is as close to showing the softness that I can offer, but it's so soft that I want a big blanket knitted out of this stuff!

One reason the small newborn sized clothes aren't fitting anymore, besides that Evan has gotten longer and a bit thicker, is that we started using cloth diapers with Evan over the past week.  These are much bulkier than disposable diapers, and thus he needs 0-3 month sized clothes now to fit over the diapers.  I'll write more about our experience using cloth diapers in the near future.  For now, it's time to say so long to his newborn sized clothes and look forward to putting him in all of the 0-3 month/000 sized clothes that we have for him to wear. 

1 comment:

Elly said...

I absolutely love all the different positions he sleeps in... I love when he has his arm up by his face. Wish I could just eat him up!!