It took Emma awhile to decide what kind of party she
wanted. At one point when I had asked
her what she wanted for her birthday party she’d just said things like “cake”
and the like. So, then I started trying
to think of what things she really liked and considered a baking party/cupcake
decorating party, and then she gave me a suggestion that led me to believe she’d
like a puppy party again. However,
finally one night at bedtime she told me she wanted a Trolls party. Now that was something I could really work
with, because there were lots of fun things we could do with that! As for where to have this party, well she
said she wanted it at a park. That was
very doable, but we needed to choose which one.
She suggested our neighborhood park, but that only has one picnic
table. John suggested the same park that
we had Evan’s water party at last year, since it would then give the kids the
option to play in the water feature if the weather permitted. So we went with that and I booked the
shelter.
So, we had a Cupcakes and Rainbows themed Trolls party! I came up with some rainbow snacks that I
found on Pinterest, including what I called “rainbow bars” (think Rice Krispie
treats but with Fruity Pebbles instead), rainbow twizzlers, rainbow colored
goldfish crackers, and a rainbow assortment of fruits. The kids even helped me make the rainbow
bars, which was a lot of fun for them to be so helpful, and so I think we may
need to make homemade krispie treats in the future since that went well and
they enjoyed that.
Snack prep for the party
For the cake, I went with cupcakes for the theme, but also
since we were having the party outside at a park. I tend to like cupcakes for parties away from
home so I don’t have to bring forks and knives and extra stuff to cut up and
serve a cake. I also like to set out
cupcakes on my cupcake stand. It took
awhile for me to find a cupcake style though.
I had really wanted to make a rainbow cake style cupcake, but I don’t
have an oven still (due to our kitchen remodel) and I didn’t know if I’d have
time to make them anyway. No bakeries at
the grocery stores will make that either, so I was limited to how the cupcakes
are frosted. One morning I asked Emma
what kind of cupcake decoration she’d like, and I showed her a few options on
Pinterest. She didn’t like either
(rainbow frosting piped together into a swirl, or different solid colors
frosted and laid out in a rainbow). She
saw another pin I had saved and said she wanted that. Guess what, it was the one I wanted too with
the rainbow cake! So, I made plans to
borrow my friend’s kitchen the day before her party to make them. However, that very day before I was supposed
to make the cupcakes, Emma and I were shopping together at a store I had yet to
look at their bakery selection and they offered rainbow decorated (white or
chocolate cake) cupcakes with little sugary rainbows and rainbow sprinkles on
white frosting as part of their standard offerings. Emma saw them and loved them and said she
wanted them. I asked her to clarify she
wanted them instead of the rainbow cake one, and she said yes! So, that made that a LOT easier for me!
Rainbow cupcakes!
The other Pinterest find that I knew I wanted to do for this
party was make Troll hair headbands for all of the kids to wear. Can you imagine it? Lots of 4-7 year olds running around looking
like Trolls! How cute! This was my DIY party project, and thankfully
John helped me one night too (he cut lots of tulle strips for me!), which made
it go faster. I had a lot of fun making
them, and they were a hit (more on that in an upcoming post about the party).
For the activities, well, I figured we could play a game of “Bergen
tag”. What’s that? Well, it’s just tag with someone pretending
to be a Bergen chasing trolls. Emma
loves “tag you’re it” right now, so I thought that would be particularly fun
for her and since the kids would be wearing “Troll hair” I figured it would be
quite appropriate. That was the only
really structured game I had in mind, since the playground (and possibly water
feature) would offer plenty of other fun to be had. One
other thing that I planned was to have “hug time” at various points during the
party, so I brought our musical triangle to ding when it was hug time.
I didn’t plan any other major decorations, since we were
having it outside that would just mean more to set up and clean up. I just got a Poppy table cloth and several
other yellow table clothes to match, some cupcake plates and pink plates, and a
Poppy mylar balloon. I also got a little
cupcake balloon and we brought Poppy hairstyling stations (ours that Emma had
just gotten for her birthday and our friend’s) to add to the décor and also be
an activity some kids could play with.
For the party favors, I figured the Troll hair headbands would be part of it, but I also made up goodie bags with some candy, pencils that were sparkly and different colors of the rainbow, lollipops, Trolls gummy fruit snacks, and Emma picked out some plastic flower rings as well.
Favor table (left) and drink station (right)
Now we were ready for the party…(see next post).










No comments:
Post a Comment