Sunday, June 12, 2016

Evan graduated pre-K! (and other Evan updates)

I'm quite behind on the blog as of late.  The past month, precisely since today marks exactly one month since Sarai's passing, has been a blur.  Between taking lots of time off to grieve and be with family, to being back home and trying to catch up on missed work and juggle John's new job (he's got two at the same time now, so it's been hectic!), the blog hasn't made the priority list. 

However, today I'll try to catch up a bit.  First of all, let me announce that last month, Evan graduated pre-K!  Evan had been so excited for "graduation day", but since we had to miss his graduation ceremony (we were grieving with family at that time), we hoped that we could have our own little "graduation day" so he didn't think he missed out.  So we worked it out with the school to pick him up early one day, and get him in his gown for a family photo in front of the school.  [Not sure why Emma was so grumpy...Evan even let her hold his tassel and "diploma".  She has been having some grumpy moments lately though...I'll post more on her soon.]  They also gave him a graduation cup (2016 written on it) full of little trinkets and candy.  That latter part (the candy) was all Evan raved about.  He was pleased...and so was I.


I am also so excited that the professional graduation pictures of Evan came out fabulously and we ordered both poses.  Can't wait to get those in and on the wall and out to family.  It's not every day that my kids smile and pose for photos so well! :)  

Hard to believe that next up is kindergarten for my little man.  I'm so proud of how much he has grown and matured over the past year.  He's definitely academically ready for kindergarten, probably a bit ahead.  Socially, I'm still a bit worried, but I've seen a lot of progress with him even in just the past few weeks, especially since he started attending a new daycare center on Tues/Thurs afternoons when John has to go to work at his new job.  Evan never once has cried or made it hard for us to leave him there, and in fact, if anything, he's been hard to pry away from there!  It helps that the new center has a gym (with a swirly slide like McDonalds, a foam pit, and tumbling mats and gymnastics bars) and a STEM lab (essentially all kid activities from science and children's museums).  I love both feature of this facility and so does Evan.  Plus their outdoor play area is big with lots to do and he loves that as well.  It's been good to see that he can adapt to new environments and teachers and other kids now though.  The last day I picked him up from there, he was playing legos with another kid and the teacher (it was the very end of the day so not many kids left).  The other kid ran up to me and said "oh wait, you're not my mom, but look what Evan built for me!"  Then Evan came running up and the two boys gave each other a hug before Evan got his backpack and was ready to go.  It was so sweet!

The past few weekends have also been full of birthday parties for Evan to attend with his friends from school.  Not even a few days before we got the first (of many) invitations I had wondered if he'd get any party invites, since he had not gotten one all school year.  Then the flood gates opened and nearly every day a new one was in his cubby at his pre-K school.  Each time he was so giddy with excitement as we opened it and read what it was for.  A pool party, a bounce house party, a swim party at a lake, a water fight party, and then next up, a soccer party.  The bounce house party, in particular, was amazing to see how the kids seemingly had unlimited energy!  They were all sweaty, but kept on bouncing and sliding (it had a bit slide on the side) for several hours. Now we've had 3 weekends in a row with parties, and one weekend even had two (one Saturday, one Sunday)!  Evan's been loving it! I can see the same group of ~12 kids at each, so I am pretty sure this year he'll have his first big birthday party given how many people he's already told me he wants to invite to his 5th party this summer.  I better start planning for that because it will be here before I know it! :)

Mr. Handsome

Having fun with friends at the lake party

Loves riding his bike

A good helper in the kitchen (when we're baking at least)

Guess who can climb all the way to the top on his own now?

Having fun with his cousins...

No comments: