Anyway, as a kid I loved puzzles (which is probably why I was given a pocket Simon too!), and so the Rubik's Cube was great fun. It was also very difficult for me, and I don't recall very many times as a kid mastering it completely (rather, I took pride when I got at least one side all the same color!). However, that never swayed my intrigue in puzzles and my father loved to bring new ones home for us to try. Therefore, since the Rubik's Cube is quite well known still today, I want to dedicate this post to another Rubik's puzzle that I had as a kid, one which has not endured the same long-lasting legacy.
I'm talking about Rubik's Magic. I couldn't even remember the name of it myself, until I googled it just now! I just knew there was some new Rubik puzzle that had come out in the 1980s, after the Cube had debuted with huge success, and I remember liking it a lot. However, I don't still have this toy, but thanks to the internet (and wikipedia in this case) I've found pictures of it to share.
The Rubik's Magic had three colorful rings that were initially separate on one side and a jumbled up image of the rings on the backside. Then you had to bend and fold the toy different ways to get the jumbled rings on the backside to appear linked. Anyone else remember this one?
Rubik's Magic (from wikipedia)
Rubik's Magic solved (from wikipedia)
I remember enjoying this puzzle quite a bit, and while I can't clearly remember solving it, I think that I did (maybe that's why I liked it so much?). At the time, I remember thinking that it was such a futuristic style of a toy too, which is also why I liked it a lot. Looking at these photos now, it looks dated, but I still think it really was a bit ahead of its time in the design (at least compared to poor old Simon).
Now who knows when I'll find time to start digging through the dusty boxes in the basement, but whenever I do, I'll be sure to start posting about some of the other old goodies that I find!


No comments:
Post a Comment