2013...what a year! I went through an entire pregnancy (excruciatingly at times) from which we welcomed a new member of our family, our toddler has begun to transition into a little boy, and then we ended the year with a journey to visit family down under.
January
Soon after the New Year, which we spent at our home with some friends, I headed to Austin, TX for a work trip to attend an annual meteorology conference. While I was there, I started to feel a little weird, but it wasn't until about two weeks later that I took a pregnancy test to confirm that we were expecting our second baby!
February
We had our first prenatal appointment and got the first glimpse of our little baby. And we also started getting some good snowfalls, so Evan "played" in the snow for the first time.
March
We took a short flight to visit my mom and step-dad in Texas and I celebrated by 35th birthday. I also had a busy month at work, since I worked on two proposals due this month. Sadly, neither were funded (federal agency budgets are tight these days, especially after the sequester went into effect this month!). We ended the month by celebrating Easter with Evan, in which he was able to hunt for eggs this year.
April
We had our mid-pregnancy ultrasound and found out we were having a baby girl! We also took a long weekend trip to the mountains with some friends and their kids to stay in the cabin where we got married. It was a fun time of playing games, shopping, hot tubbing (well I had to skip that due to the pregnancy), and sledding. Evan also got his first really bad cold this month, in which he lost his voice! This was just before I had to take a work trip to San Antonio, TX, during which trip I came down with it too and was miserable on my flight home (and for at least a few more days after that).
May
I took a short work trip to Alaska (not too shabby) and then I had to take a last minute work trip to Sacramento, but I got to visit a good friend while I was there. We also took a road trip to Kansas to visit my father and my sister's kids and my brother and his family. It was the first time Evan had met his Uncle Mitch, Aunt Shelby, and his cousin Kaylee (who is pretty much his same age), as well as the first time we had all of the cousins (from my brother, sister, and I) together. The week prior to this trip was a busy week for Evan at the doctor's office. We had to make three trips in about a week's time, for three completely separate things.
June
We took Evan to the Longmont Air Show and we had a breakthrough with his sleeping overnight, in which we started using his camera to talk to him and calm him when he woke up crying at night wanting us to come sleep with him. Prior to that we (often John) had been sleeping a lot of nights on the floor of his room.
July
We spent a week in Breckenridge early in the month and then within a few days of being home from that trip learned that my grandfather passed away, so we turned around and took another trip to go back to Kansas for my grandfather's funeral. This led to an impromptu family reunion since my brother and his family came back and my sister and her kids were there too. I was treated to a lovely baby shower and Evan had his first haircut at the end of the month.
August
We celebrated Evan's second birthday with a small birthday party the weekend before his birthday and then took him to the Butterfly Pavilion for his actual birthday. We also got our second glimpse of baby girl and found out she is a big LGA baby! I also started to have a few minor complications with the pregnancy in that I was slightly anemic, and was having some episodes of difficulty breathing....signs I was definitely getting into the last few weeks of pregnancy (and in the peak heat of summer!). We took Evan to another air show (boy was that a hot one!) and also to a pop-up water fountain to enjoy the last few weeks of summer.
September
This was quite a memorable month given two major events that occurred. The first was the biggest flood in Colorado's history, and the second was that we welcomed our beautiful Emma Sophia into the world. <3
October
My first full month of maternity leave flew by. We enjoyed those first precious weeks with our little Emma, including having my mom and step-dad visit to meet her. We also enjoyed Evan's first Halloween in which he went trick-or-treating and that we marched in the local Halloween parade. We also started Evan in tumbling classes, which he loved.
November
Evan has continued to love his baby sister, which started to include asking to snuggle her before bed in his crib. We enrolled Evan in another month of tumbling classes this month and were visited by my dad and aunt Linda so they could meet Emma, play with Evan, and share Thanksgiving with us. Emma also had to go to the doctor for the first times other than regular wellness visits due to her skin. We took a short mini-vacay to Colorado Springs and had our first "family of four" portraits taken. Evan started sleeping in his crib as a toddler bed and Emma also started sleeping all the way through the night by the end of the month, at just over 2 months old!
December
I started out the month with a trip to the ER due to my crazy high fever from having mastitis. Then we enjoyed a short visit from my mom and step-dad right before we left for Australia. After the long journey, we spent many days swimming in the pool, going to the beach, and seeing the sights. We also celebrated Emma's first (and Evan's 3rd) Christmas with family down under.
Here's to a happy and healthy 2014!

















No comments:
Post a Comment