I learned some lessons from doing Evan's Kindergarten Halloween Party: 1) ask for adult helpers to help run the party, 2) don't choose a craft that has so much prep, and 3) make sure to send leftover food home with the kids. On that last note, I don't mind some of the leftovers, but all of it is a bit much.
Luckily for me, this time I had extra helpers for both the party prep and in running the show since Sarah and Louise were visiting! In fact, John and Sarah took the lead on making the snowman poster for the "pin the nose on the snowman" game. I was going to draw a pretty basic snowman, but they took some extra time to give him a few finishing touches! Sarah and Louise were then in charge of this game, so I didn't get to see too many kids playing it, but the end result had quite a spread of noses!
The hardest part prepping for this game was the blindfold. I realized after having chosen this game that I didn't think it was sanitary to have them all share a scarf, given the lice issues that occur in this age of school age children (which we already got to deal with in week one of school...ugh). So thankfully, Louise helped me cut out not only the carrot noses, but also some pieces of paper that I punched holes in and we tied yarn to each end to use as blindfolds. It was more labor intensive than I wanted, but it was a cheap way to make 24 blindfolds for sure.
For the craft, I went more simple with candy cane reindeer. This, however, was still tricky for some of the kids, especially getting the little eyes and nose to stay stuck on, but in general it was easier for me because I didn't have to prep 24 detailed crafts (recall the paper plate webs from last party). I just had to have enough candy canes, pipe cleaners, pom poms for the noses, and googly eyes, and then let the kids assemble them. I ended up helping kids with that most of the party.
Evan with Sarah and Nanna and his candy cane reindeer
For snacks we had cookies and fruit and covered pretzels, and then hot cocoa. There were marshmallows (both large and small), whipped cream, and sprinkles for the kids to decorate their warm drinks. One parent had signed up to help so she was the one who helped kids get food and drinks.
I had gotten packs of holiday pencils at the dollar store when I was shopping for the party, and figured Evan might like to give a gift to his friends in class. So at one point during the party, he walked around to everyone handing out the pencils. I think he really liked doing that. He is one that certainly enjoys giving people things (though don't get me wrong, he also likes, and may prefer, getting things too!).
I was also really glad that John was able to come to the party this time. Evan enjoyed having him there too.
At the end of it all, I had forgotten to take pictures of the whole room set up, but things worked out pretty well and I think the kids had fun. We sent food home with some kids, but we ended up with some leftovers still. I don't think Sarah and Louise were too saddened when we came home with a huge tub of hot cocoa mix and lots of marshmallows. The marshmallows even matched Louise's coat. :)






No comments:
Post a Comment