Friday, June 7, 2013

The digital generation

Given that I did not own a cell phone until I was in college, and I just got my first smartphone earlier this year, it is hard for me to imagine what childhood will be like for Evan.  This generation is exposed to so many technologies that did not exist when I grew up.  I can clearly remember playing Atari as a young kid, though.  That was the best video game option of my generation, until Nintendo came out (which I also clearly remember the day we first rented a Nintendo system and played things like Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt for the very first times).

Now, with video games of all kinds aplenty, on touch screen devices that we keep in our pocket, you better believe Evan has been exposed to these digital "toys".  He loves to grab John's phone first thing in the morning after having his morning cup of milk in our bed to play games.  He used to just ask us to open the games, but now he browses the phone's many screens and finds the folder with the games and selects which one he wants to play.  Moreover, he has learned which buttons to push to start the games (it's like he can read the word "play" on them, but really he probably just sees the biggest button and goes for it!).  But seriously, he navigates the phone with ease!

The games he plays best are this balloon pop game (My Baby Bubbles), a puzzle game (Puzzingo),  Fruit Ninja, and a couple car racing games (though he wrecks the car more than anything in those).  He even opens Candy Crush sometimes!

Here is one such time that he was playing games on the phone.   Can you believe this kid isn't even two years old yet!?!  Introducing what I'll call "the digital generation"!

Note: this video was taken about a week ago.  As of this morning, we rarely need to point to the screen to help him out!

No comments: