A new meaning for baby "projectile"
While projectile puking is not new for Evan (recall previous posts), this was the first time he had two almost in a row. Meaning, he had one after one of his middle of the night feedings, and then again after his morning feeding. The first was in his bassinet, while the second occurred after he'd been dressed for the day (in his Handsome Like Daddy outfit of course...again recall previous posts where it always seems to get soiled by baby vomit!). The second episode also happened all over *our* bed! John had dressed Evan and he was laying peacefully on our bed while John was watching over him and admiring him, right up until the projectile happened! John said this was the first time he'd actually seen it happen, and he described it like a circular fountain of milk...almost like a snow blower shooting out a stream of snow. What I have not mentioned yet is that there was actually another projectile episode that occurred just before this latter one, also on our bed. The only difference was this previous projectile occurred while John was changing him on our bed (before getting him dressed), and instead of projectile vomit, it was a projectile poo! Since this occurred while John was changing him, there was no diaper to stop the extreme force behind the (note: I can't stop laughing even as I write this!) "golden olive oil-like shower" that John described coming out of Evan's cute little bottom. Needless to say, poo got everywhere (the changing pad and beyond...), so even though Evan puked up on our bed shortly thereafter, we were already starting to get the bedding off to be washed. The projectile vomit just added insult to injury for poor John, who had been witnessing and dealing with all of this while I was in the shower getting ready to go to the Air Show.
First Family Outing--JeffCo Airport Air Show, Saturday, August 27
John had been going to a flight school at the JeffCo (Rocky Mountain Regional) airport for his CFI, and thus he'd heard about this air show and we knew we wanted to try to go as a family. It was going to have a B2 bomber flyover, along with F18 and F16 flyovers/shows. However, we were worried the show would be too loud for Evan so we tried to get some ear plugs for him. Nonetheless, we didn't think of this early enough to place an online order for baby ear muffs that would arrive in time. So then we resorted to looking for soft ear plugs that could maybe fit in his ears. Of course, they don't make them for infants and the ones I got and tried putting in his ears didn't stay in his ears very good. Luckily, he slept through most of the show anyway, so I don't think the noise bothered him much.
When we arrived at the show, the aerobatics show had already started (yes, we were running late after all that had happened that morning, and just that it was our first time going out with Evan so we had a lot to pack and bring!). Traffic was backed up good and cars were parking quite far away from the airport. We decided to just park there and start walking, which included an off road segment that we were glad we had a 3-wheel stroller for, but poor Evan's little head was flopping around too much on the bumpy ground. So John ended up having to carry the carseat the rest of the off road portion. We first went to McAir (the flight school John had gone to), and that's when we found out they had plenty of open parking spaces that we could have parked at! By the time we got there, it was time for Evan's next feeding, so I was able to nurse him in one of the offices at McAir, which was nice for the privacy, but also for the air conditioning! I'd already worked up quite a sweat on the walk just from the car! It was a hot and sunny 90F day after all! While I nursed Evan, John went and checked out all the static displays and then came back for us to go explore the show as a family.
We checked out a few of the better static displays and then found a place on some grass to park our chairs to watch the rest of the show. By the time we got settled, I went out to look for food and that's when I saw the B2 off in the distance. It looked like something Batman would have been flying off in the distance to the northwest. I ran back to tell John so he could start getting pictures. The B2 flyover was the main thing I wanted to see, as I don't think I'd ever seen one in the air. I remember being a kid myself and my Dad taking us to an air show in Nebraska and seeing a static display of the then new B2 "stealth" bomber. At that time I thought it was pretty cool, but seeing it in the air was even cooler now. The B2 flyover was amazingly quiet (dare I say stealthy?), so the noise didn't bother Evan at all. After the B2 flyover was the Pearl Harbor simulation (Tora! Tora! Tora!), and even during all of those mock-bombs going off Evan didn't seem bothered. We were sitting a fair distance away from the front of the flight line for the air show, and I'm glad for that since we could feel the heat being produced from some of those mock-bombs, and I can't imagine how it would have felt if we were closer! It was too hot of a day for having a fire lit right in your face! We had put Evan in just a white short-sleeved onesie, kept him shaded with his stroller shades, and also tried to leave some openings for air flow, but the heat was really inescapable. After this part of the show, we agreed Evan'd been exposed to too much heat and it was almost his next feeding time anyway, so we headed back to McAir to cool down. By the time the F-18 and F-16 flew around (the finale for the show), we were back in McAir nursing, so the noise was dampened a bit and still did not bother Evan at all. We were able to watch that part of the show from McAir. As always, the fighter jets were very impressive to watch doing all their maneuvers, and they were definitely the loudest part of the day.
My favorite first, so far...
Today had been a typical Sunday morning around the house for us. Evan was awake and hanging out in his swing, while John and I had our Sunday breakfast I'd just made. We had the "hit list" music playing on the TV, and the sun was shining outside. Perfect Sunday so far in my opinion, and only about to get better.
After breakfast, John was cleaning up the big mess I'd made cooking breakfast (isn't he sweet!?), while I took advantage of some time with Evan while he was awake, alert, and happy. I took him out of his swing and began to sing and dance to the hits with him, when he looked right at me and did a big open mouth smile! I was so excited and wanted John to witness it too, that I shrieked with joy and called John to come quickly. Sadly, my shriek probably scared Evan and regardless, the smile was gone by the time John arrived. It has not happened again yet, but he's getting to the age where it should start happening more often and more deliberately. Needless to say, we will be anxiously awaiting more of these wonderful moments with him.
1 comment:
Yes what a great story it sure did make me laugh in the DMV line! Had a few weird looks... maybe the outfit needs to be retired! ;)
Post a Comment